Investing in Canada
Mistras— founded in 1978 and headquartered in Princeton— has 120 locations worldwide and 5500 employees. It is a leading supplier of "one source" technology-enabled asset protection solutions used to evaluate the structural integrity of critical energy, industrial and public infrastructure.
With strong expertise in the oil and gas industry, Mistras has seen its sales grow in Canada. Its office in Fort McMurray, Alberta serves producers such as Imperial Oil and Suncor. With approximately 100 employees on the ground, it provides visual inspection and testing services.
Mistras sees Canada's oil sands as key to its future growth, which is good for New Jersey.
Investing in New Jersey
There are over 240 Canadian-owned companies operating in the State of New Jersey and the numbers are growing year after year. These companies are responsible for nearly 28,000 jobs throughout the state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics data, the average salary in the state of New Jersey is $54,950.
This means that Canadian-owned businesses are directly responsible for over $1.5 billion in salary dollars! Therefore, not only do Canadian companies pay their taxes locally, they also contribute to the local economy through these salary dollars. These companies employ New Jerseyans in every sector of the economy. Canadian companies are clearly major contributors to New Jersey's economy!
New Jersey–Canada trade
- New Jersey exports to Canada: $6.3 billion
- New Jersey imports from Canada: $7.3 billion
- Bilateral trade: $13.6 billion
- New Jersey services exports to Canada: $1.7 billion
New Jersey–Canada tourism
- New Jersey visits by Canadians: 438,500
- New Jersey vacation spending by Canadians: $122 million
New Jersey’s top goods exports to Canada
- Plastics & plastic articles: $656 million
- Perfumes, essential oils & toiletries: $344 million
- Organic chemicals: $287 million
- Fuel oil: $255 million
- Prepared vegetables: $249 million
New Jersey’s top goods imports from Canada
- Crude petroleum: $1.6 billion
- Fuel oil: $652 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $353 million
- Paper & paperboard: $302 million
- Copper & copper articles: $281 million
New Jersey exports to Canada by industry
- Chemicals (24%)
- Equipment & machinery (18%)
- Agriculture (16%)
- Minerals & metals (13%)
- Plastics & rubbers (11%)
- Energy (4%)
- Other (14%)
New Jersey imports from Canada by industry
- Energy (31%)
- Agriculture (18%)
- Minerals & metals (11%)
- Chemicals (10%)
- Forest products (7%)
- Equipment & machinery (6%)
- Other (18%)
New Jersey Jobs
- 274,300 New Jersey jobs depend on trade and investment with Canada
New Jersey top services exports to Canada
- Business, professional & technical services: $391 million
- Royalties: $175 million
- Financial services: $140 million
- Insurance: $111 million
- Telecommunications: $28 million
- 274,300 jobs in New Jersey depend on Canada–U.S. trade and investment
- Canada is New Jersey’s #1 customer
- Total Canada–New Jersey goods trade: $13.6 billion
Connect to our team
For more information on New Jersey’s trade with Canada, please contact our trade team in New York.
Unless otherwise mentioned, all figures are based on 2016 data in U.S. dollars. Statistics Canada: 2014 tourism, based on combined same-day and overnight travel (8/2016 release, US$1.00=C$1.1045). U.S. Census Bureau: goods trade, Canada’s export ranking (2/2017 release). U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis: goods and services trade (3/2016 release). Trade Partnership: 2015 services trade (1/2017 release). Job numbers are from a study commissioned by the Government of Canada (11/2014 release, 2013 data). Figures may not add up due to rounding. Produced by the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
- Date Modified: