Bringing Communities to Life
Stantec, a North American company with its headquarters in Alberta, is Canada's second largest professional services firm delivering engineering, architecture, environmental sciences and project management services around the globe.
Stantec has over 230 offices in North America, employing over 22,000 workers across the United States alone, including 185 employees in eight offices across Virginia.
Stantec has supported transportation, environmental, and education infrastructure projects throughout Virginia and in the capital region like the Capital Beltway HOT lanes, the I-95 Express Toll Lanes, Academies of Loudoun in Ashburn, and the APM Marine Terminal in Portsmouth, VA.
Investing in Virginia
There are over 210 Canadian-owned companies operating in Virginia and the numbers keep growing. These companies are responsible for almost 13,000 jobs throughout the state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics data, the average salary in the state of Virginia is $51,670. This means that Canadian-owned businesses are directly responsible for $664 million in salary dollars!
Therefore, not only do Canadian companies pay their taxes locally, they also contribute to the local economy through these salary dollars. These companies employ Virginians in every sector of the economy and are clearly major contributors to Virginia's economy!
- Virginia exports to Canada: $2.9 billion
- Virginia imports from Canada: $1.9 billion
- Bilateral trade: $4.8 billion
- Virginia services exports to Canada: $1.4 billion
- Virginia visits by Canadians: 838,600
- Virginia vacation spending by Canadians: $219 million
Virginia’s top goods exports to Canada
- Tractors: $273 million
- Paper & paperboard: $221 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $215 million
- Paper & printing machinery: $193 million
- Motor vehicle parts: $161 million
Virginia’s top goods imports from Canada
- Paper & paperboard: $182 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $133 million
- Furniture & bedding: $85 million
- Wood & semi-finished wood products: $75 million
- Aluminum & aluminum articles: $74 million
Virginia exports to Canada by industry
- Equipment & machinery (24%)
- Transportation (22%)
- Forest products (12%)
- Agriculture (9%)
- Minerals & metals (9%)
- Plastics & rubbers (8%)
- Other (16%)
Virginia imports from Canada by industry
- Equipment & machinery (23%)
- Forest products (18%)
- Agriculture (13%)
- Minerals & metals (10%)
- Plastics & rubbers (8%)
- Chemicals (7%)
- Other (21%)
- 280,800 Virginia jobs depend on trade and investment with Canada
Virginia top services exports to Canada
- Business, professional & technical services: $16 million
- Royalties: $7 million
- Insurance: $5 million
- Financial services: $566,000
- Telecommunications: $321,000
- 280,800 jobs in Virginia depend on Canada–U.S. trade and investment
- Canada is Virginia’s #1 customer
- Total Canada–Virginia goods trade: $4.8 billion
Connect to our team
For more information on Virginia’s trade with Canada, please contact our trade team in Washington.
Unless otherwise mentioned, all figures are based on 2016 data in U.S. dollars. Statistics Canada: 2014 tourism, based on combined same-day and overnight travel (8/2016 release, US$1.00=C$1.1045). U.S. Census Bureau: goods trade, Canada’s export ranking (2/2017 release). U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis: goods and services trade (3/2016 release). Trade Partnership: 2015 services trade (1/2017 release). Job numbers are from a study commissioned by the Government of Canada (11/2014 release, 2013 data). Figures may not add up due to rounding. Produced by the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
- Date Modified: