How to Submit Visa Applications
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: The visa application centre (VAC) in New York City (NYC) has re-opened. Visit the VAC website for information on its new location and hours of operations.
The Consulate General of Canada in New York accepts applications from the following:
- Citizens and persons lawfully admitted to the USA (including Puerto Rico), St. Pierre et Miquelon and Virgin Islands (US);
- Citizens and persons lawfully admitted to Bermuda
- Persons who hold valid visitor status in Canada (for Work Permit applications only).
Canada’s Biometric Requirement
You may need to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when submitting an application for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit. This new requirement affects citizens from 29 countries and one territory.
How to submit an application
You are encouraged to apply online or through the VAC in NYC as applications submitted directly to the visa office will take longer to process.
Temporary resident (visitor, student, temporary worker), permanent resident travel document applications and other types
|Application type||Online||Through the |
VAC in NYC
|To the visa office |
|To the visa office |
|Temporary Resident Visa (Visitor)||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Study Permit**||Yes||No - Please send to the visa office in Los Angeles|
|Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD)||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Temporary Resident Permit||No||No||No||Yes|
|Authorization to Return to Canada||No||No||No||Yes|
* Exception - if you hold valid visitor status in Canada you may submit your Work Permit application to the visa office by mail.
** The visa office in New York only accepts Study Permit applications from citizens of, and persons lawfully admitted to Bermuda. Citizens of, and persons lawfully admitted to the United States (including Puerto Rico) and St. Pierre et Miquelon MUST submit their Study Permit applications to visa office in Los Angeles.
NOTE: Families should send their application in one package to the appropriate visa office based on the principal application. In other words, if the principal applicant is applying for a work permit, then all other applications (study permits and visitor visas) should go with the principal application to the visa office in New York. Or, if the principal applicant is applying for a study permit, then all other applications (work permit and visitor visas) should go with the principal application to the visa office in Los Angeles.
Specific requirements for diplomatic or official passport holders
Hours of Operation
In-person submissions will only be available until Wednesday June 25, 2014:
Thereafter, all temporary resident (visitor, student, temporary worker) and permanent resident travel document applications must be submitted either online or through the VAC in NYC.
Please note the following until Wednesday June 25, 2014:
- Service is only available Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. except during Statutory Holiday (which may differ from local holidays).
- Service will be provided to the first 25 applicants.
- Each adult applicant must be present in order to submit an application.
- Applications for minor children may be submitted by the child’s parent or legal guardian providing proof of relation including: birth certificate of the child and related documentation.
- We will review and assess your application based on information available in your application, usually without an interview or requesting for additional/missing documents. It is your responsibility to provide documents to support your application.
- To make an enquiry on an application, please use the Case Specific Enquiry Form. For general enquiries, please consult our websites at www.canadainternational.gc.ca or www.cic.gc.ca. Please note that the visa office does not accept or respond to telephone enquiries and will not respond to requests for case status if the application is within normal processing times or the information is available on our websites.
- Passports and original documents will not be returned in person. All passports and documents will be returned by mail. The visa office will return passports to addresses in the USA or Canada only.
Building Security: All persons entering the visa office must pass through a metal detector and submit to a visual check of handbags, backpacks, etc. The Consulate General of Canada reserves the right to prohibit entry of anyone who fails to comply with the screening process.
Available ONLY for:
- Applications for an Authorization to Return to Canada
- Applications for Criminal Rehabilitation
- Applications for a Temporary Resident Permit
- Applications for a Work Permit from persons who hold valid visitor status in Canada
Please mail your application to:
Consulate General of Canada in New York
1251 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York
United States of America
If - your mailing address is in the USA:
- Include a self-addressed United States Postal Service/USPS Express Mail flat rate envelope with the correct postage stamp affixed. Metered postage is unacceptable.
- Keep a record of the tracking number on the USPS Express Mail label so that you can track delivery of the envelope at www.USPS.com.
- For USPS Priority Mail envelopes, you must also attach a Delivery Confirmation form with correct postage stamp affixed. Metered postage is unacceptable. (Priority Mail envelopes do not have a tracking number.)
- If you do not provide an acceptable return envelope, the visa office will mail your passports and original documents via regular mail with no tracking number.
If - your mailing address is in Canada:
- We return passports and documents to addresses in Canada by US Postal Service First Class Mail only. No tracking number is available for these packages.
- The visa office is NOT responsible for passports or documents lost, damaged, or delayed in the mail or customs systems.
- The visa office will not return passports or documents by commercial courier.
- Enter a daytime telephone number on the mailing label above the recipient address.
- We retain passports while your application is in process. We will return original documents and the passport after your application has been finalized.
- Date Modified: