How to Submit Visa Applications
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: The visa application centre (VAC) in New York City (NYC) has re-opened. Visit the VAC website for information on its new location and hours of operations.
The Consulate General of Canada in New York accepts applications from the following:
- Citizens and persons lawfully admitted to the USA (including Puerto Rico), St. Pierre et Miquelon and Virgin Islands (US);
- Citizens and persons lawfully admitted to Bermuda
Canada’s Biometric Requirement
You may need to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when submitting an application for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit. This new requirement affects citizens from 29 countries and one territory.
How to submit an application
Temporary resident (visitor, student, temporary worker), permanent resident travel document applications and other types
|Application type||Online||Through the |
VAC in NYC
|To the visa office |
|Temporary Resident Visa (Visitor)||Yes||Yes||No|
|Study Permit*||Yes||No - Please send to the visa office in Los Angeles|
|Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD)||No||Yes||No|
|Temporary Resident Permit||No||No||Yes|
|Authorization to Return to Canada||No||No||Yes|
* The visa office in New York only accepts Study Permit applications from citizens of, and persons lawfully admitted to Bermuda. Citizens of, and persons lawfully admitted to the United States (including Puerto Rico) and St. Pierre et Miquelon MUST submit their Study Permit applications to visa office in Los Angeles.
NOTE: Families should send their application in one package to the appropriate visa office based on the principal application. In other words, if the principal applicant is applying for a work permit, then all other applications (study permits and visitor visas) should go with the principal application to the visa office in New York. Or, if the principal applicant is applying for a study permit, then all other applications (work permit and visitor visas) should go with the principal application to the visa office in Los Angeles.
Specific requirements for diplomatic or official passport holders
Available ONLY for:
- Applications for an Authorization to Return to Canada
- Applications for Criminal Rehabilitation
- Applications for a Temporary Resident Permit
Please mail your application to:
Consulate General of Canada in New York
1251 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York
United States of America
If - your mailing address is in the USA:
- Include a self-addressed United States Postal Service/USPS Express Mail flat rate envelope with the correct postage stamp affixed. Metered postage is unacceptable.
- Keep a record of the tracking number on the USPS Express Mail label so that you can track delivery of the envelope at www.USPS.com.
- For USPS Priority Mail envelopes, you must also attach a Delivery Confirmation form with correct postage stamp affixed. Metered postage is unacceptable. (Priority Mail envelopes do not have a tracking number.)
- If you do not provide an acceptable return envelope, the visa office will mail your passports and original documents via regular mail with no tracking number.
If - your mailing address is in Canada:
- We return passports and documents to addresses in Canada by US Postal Service First Class Mail only. No tracking number is available for these packages.
- The visa office is NOT responsible for passports or documents lost, damaged, or delayed in the mail or customs systems.
- The visa office will not return passports or documents by commercial courier.
- Enter a daytime telephone number on the mailing label above the recipient address.
- We retain passports while your application is in process. We will return original documents and the passport after your application has been finalized.
- Date Modified: